Pages

Sunday 2 August 2015

A perfect pencil skirt

I've been hunting for a perfect pencil skirt for a few months now. Every time I go into a shop, or a charity shop, or look online, I'm always looking for a skirt that's a combination of high waisted, past knee length and in an interesting coloured fabric, you know something that's not black or grey. Yes, I want the skirt for work, but I'm not entirely sure why most clothing manufacturers think that your average working woman is afraid to venture beyond boring black or grim grey.

The thing is, I did find one, or two skirts in the shops or online but they were either:

  1. made of horrible clingy jersey fabric
  2. Too expensive. 

So, I decided it was time to dust off the old sewing machine and make a skirt for myself. It's been a while since I did any dressmaking, so I've been fairly keen to get back behind the sewing machine anyway. I opted for the Eliza M Alma Wiggle skirt pattern as it seemed to have that vintage aesthetic that I was looking for.

The fantastic red oversized gingham was bought from Leeds market earlier this month, and wasn't too expensive at all. I had also bought a zip at the time, but managed to lose that before making the skirt. Thankfully I had a white zip lurking in my stash.

Eliza M Alma Skirt
Homemade skirt and damn rain

There was no instruction for lining the skirt in the pattern, but I've made skirts before so decided to line it a nice lightweight white polycotton. I always find things hang that bit better when they are lined, unless the fabric is particularly sturdy of course.

Vintage style gingham pencil skirt
Pleased with the 1940s vibe

I altered the pattern by making the skirt longer, and the waistband thicker. In hindsight, I made the waistband a bit too thick so it does fold over a little bit when I sit down, despite being stiffened with interfacing. Hey ho, I am still pleased with the overall effect, and the very vintage shape. I have to admit, I didn't refer to the instructions much at all, apart from an early cursory glance, but then I consider myself to be an intermediate sewist and this is quite a simple pattern to make up.

It's first outing was to work on Monday, because I couldn't wait to wear it. I really like the way it's turned out, and I suspect that I will be making a fair few of these skirts to brighten up my wardrobe.

No comments: