Pages

Tuesday 5 May 2015

Monthly book round up: April

So, here we are well into the first week of May, and I'm only just getting around to sharing the books I read last month. Bad show. Anyway, without further ado:

What I read in March
Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

I had heard good things about this book, and the people I follow on good reads seemed to be enamoured. I'm pleased to say, the book met with my expectations. It was a really interesting read with so many twists and turns. Just as the author had encouraged you to warm to a character, she turned everything on its head and your opinions are completely changed. Cleverly written, I would definitely recommend it.

The Mysterious Affair at Styles - Agatha Christie

I love watching Agatha Christie dramatisations on TV, until now I had never read one. This book introduces the Belgian detective Hercule Poirot, as well as all of the other characters we get used to meeting in subsequent books. Despite the age of the writing, it felt very current and was a very enjoyable, easy read. I loved it, I will definitely be adding more Agatha Christie to my wishlist.

An Introduction to Feminism - Susan Alice Watkins

I like to refer to myself as a feminist, but admit to being quite uneducated on the topic. I bought this in the hope that it would be a good holistic introduction to my further reading, and it was, but it wasn't really the format of a book that I enjoy. Maybe it was aimed at a younger audience, but I found there to be too many illustrations for my liking, and maybe it was a bit too cool. Nonetheless, if you're looking for a succinct run through of feminism, you probably could do worse than this.

What books have you been reading lately? 

No comments: