Pages

Monday 21 July 2014

Masham Steam Rally



The weather was pretty awful over the weekend. A mixture of heavy rain requiring waterproofs, and humid heat making you wish you didn’t have the waterproofs on. Good old British summertime hey? It didn’t scare us off making our way down to the annual Masham Steam Rally on both Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon though.


I’m such a tomboy sometimes, and I find great pleasure in wandering around fields filled with perfectly maintained and adored vintage vehicles. Friday evening it was really all about the extremely old steam engines in the market square. The air was filled with the smell of coal and smoke, and the rain didn’t stop the square from being filled with people supping local ale and admiring the love and attention to detail that goes into maintaining these monster machines.


I’m not sure which was my favourite, although it’s a great joy to see them I’m not sure I can get as animated as I do about seeing, for example, a vintage camper van.


Sunday was quite a different story though, for a start off, the sun came out. We hadn’t realised though that the main steam rally in the local fields is a huge affair with fairground rides, market stalls and a beer tent.


Again, there were the fantastic steam engines, but there were also many more vintage cars, bikes and of course, given our rural location, farm vehicles. Aside from the many beautifully maintained camper vans, were some glorious Morris Minors (my favourite), vespas and Lambrettas and the most amazing 1960s bubble car which would have suited me beautifully for tootling along the seafront of a Saturday morning when we move to the coast.


It was a highly enjoyable day out and if you’re in the area next year, I would certainly recommend a trip to the Masham steam rally.



No comments: