Monday, 26 May 2014

Film: Godzilla



I'm a big fan of Godzilla, but when I say that I do refer to the classic 1960s Japanese ones, you know, the ones where Godzilla is quite obviously a man in a suit and there was no such thing as CGI. When a new Godzilla film is announced, it fills me with both excited anticipation and a dread at what Hollywood might do.

I went to see the latest Godzilla today, and was pleasantly surprised. It started in Japan, which was a positive for me right from the beginning. It was a bit slow to start and I did think it was going to be another one of those American military type shows of masculinity from start to finish. Once one of Godzilla's recognisable enemies, Mothra, made an appearance though it was clear that this was going to be a fabulous monster fest and soon the military aspect was merely a footnote.

The film stayed quite loyal to the original formulas that I know and love so well, and I was certainly not disappointed. There are definitely aspects of the film that still make you groan, but overall this was a fun filled film and an excellent attempt at reinvigorating a classic. 

No comments: